MUSEUM OF REPUBLIC OF SRPSKA HISTORY
Public institution Museum of Republic of Srpska – Banja luka
On September 26, 1930, the Museum of Republic of Srpska was founded in Banja Luka, by order of Ban Svetislav-Tisa Milosavljevic (originally named Museum of Vrbas County). Painter Spiro Bocarić was appointed as its first director. Along with the ethnological collection, during the first decade of museum’s existence – historical, archaeological and natural collection were developed and added. During the occupation and government of The Independent State of Croatia (1941-1945), the museum’s director was killed, and the Museum received „purely” Croatian features, from its name (Croatian National Ethnographic Museum, and the Croatian State Museum) to complete changes to the permanent collection.
After liberation in 1945, the museum is called the State Ethnographic Museum of Bosanska Krajina. In 1953, it merged with the Museum of National Liberation (founded in 1947) and it was named the National Museum in Banja Luka. In 1962, museum changed its name again to – Museum of Bosanska Krajina in Banja Luka. Museum’s current name – the Museum of the Republic of Srpska dates back to 1992.
The museum is now located in the Solidarity Center (formerly Center of workers’ solidarity) since 1982. Today, the Museum is a public institution with seven organizational units:
1. Department of material culture, which consists of:
– Section for Archaeology
– Section for History
– Section for Ethnology and Ethnography
– Section for Art History
– Section for Natural history
- Department of intangible culture
- Department of documentation and digitizing
- Department of Conservation and Restoration, consisting of:
– Studio for conservation and restoration of paintings
– Studio for conservation and restoration of textiles and leather
– Studio for conservation and restoration of metal
– Studio for conservation and restoration of stone, ceramics, porcelain and glass
– Studio for conservation and restoration of wood
– Workshop of ZOO taxidermist
- Department of educational-pedagogical work, communications and public relations
- Department of library and publishing
- Department of General Services
These seven organizational units employ a total of 42 employees. Museum has a rich fund that has a total of 106, 364 of museum objects and library fund with approximately 14,300 books. Today, the Museum offers a rich permanent exhibition, which introduces the visitors to the distant past, up to the end of World War II.